Purchasing your insurance from Lockton Affinity Outdoor is pretty simple. But while buying online is fast and easy, it can still be confusing when a client, customer, vendor or business partner asks to see your “certificate of insurance.”
A certificate of insurance (or COI) is a separate document from your insurance policy that can be provided to you upon request that summarizes the details of your insurance policy, including coverage type, limits, insurance provider, policy number, named insureds and the effective policy dates.
A few examples where you might need a certificate of insurance for your Lockton Affinity Outdoor insurance could be:
- A hunt club showing proof of coverage to a landowner.
- A rifle or gun club showing evidence of coverage to a county.
- An instructor using a certificate to gain access to a range operation.
- A firearm business using a certificate to comply with a lease requirement.
If you are asked to provide proof of insurance, we recommend that you not share your bill or policy. Instead, simply follow the instructions below.
Here’s how to request a certificate of insurance for your insurance from Lockton Affinity Outdoor, including all the details you need to know.
How to Request a Certificate of Insurance
Requesting a certificate is pretty easy, once you know what to do. Just follow these steps:
- Visit LocktonAffinityOutdoor.com on your computer or mobile device.
- Click on “Request a Certificate” in the top-right corner of your screen. (On mobile, tap the green “Go to…” menu at the top of your screen, then “Request a Certificate.”)
- Complete the form with the necessary information and click or tap “Send.”
After submitting, your request will be processed and your certificate of insurance will be emailed to you at the email address you provided on the form within two business days.
Certificates of insurance are sent directly to you so that you can double-check the document for accuracy and share it with your COI requester however it is most convenient for you, such as by email, printing and mailing, or keeping a copy to show on your phone.
What You Need to Request a Certificate of Insurance
Requesting your certificate of insurance only requires a few pieces of information. To make the process as easy as possible, gather what you need before you begin filling out the form.
You will need:
- Your policy or account number. You can find your number on your policy documents, your most recent receipt and other pieces of email correspondence about your account from Lockton Affinity Outdoor.
- The name and address of the person or business requesting your certificate of insurance, referred to on the form as the “Certificate Holder.”
- The specific details of the certificate of insurance being requested. Most requests are one-time requests for “Proof of Coverage” or an “Additional Insured.” To make sure you obtain the correct certificate, ask your requester for the exact details of what is needed before submitting your request.
What Else to Know About Certificates of Insurance
Certificates of insurance are very useful when you’re working with other businesses, vendors and clients. Here are a few more details to know about certificates of insurance:
- People you do business with may request to be a “Certificate Holder,” meaning they keep a copy of your COI on file, or you may be asked to add them as an “Additional Insured.” In all cases, discussing the specifics of certificates of insurance upfront is a smart risk management technique that helps make sure all parties are properly insured.
- Specific requirements for certificates of insurance from the people you do business with will vary on a case-by-case basis. Always ask what is required before requesting a certificate. In some cases, requesters may ask that you have specific types of coverage or policy limits that you will need to purchase before requesting a certificate.
- Begin the process of requesting a COI a week or two before you need it. This will allow time for you to determine what’s required, make any policy adjustments, submit your request and receive your certificate after processing. It will also ensure you don’t experience a delay being able to instruct at a range or utilize a piece of property.
- Certificates of insurance expire with your insurance policy. If you decide to cancel your coverage or not renew, your certificate will become inactive. If you have an annual policy that renews every year automatically, you can request that your certificate also be renewed with your policy.
- Currently, Lockton Affinity Outdoor can automatically process two online certificate of insurance requests for each policy per year. If you need additional certificates, simply contact us for assistance.
Where to Learn More from Lockton Affinity Outdoor
Requesting a certificate of insurance from Lockton Affinity Outdoor is fast and easy once you get the hang of it. For more information or to get help with your COI request, visit LocktonAffinityOutdoor.com or call (913) 652-7500.